Cake values integrity and transparency. We follow a strict editorial process to provide you with the best content possible. We also may earn commission from purchases made through affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. Learn more in our affiliate disclosure.
The details determine the atmosphere of an event. Nowhere is this more important than at a funeral. Funeral music plays a significant role in the overall tone.
And can influence how people feel. Choosing uplifting funeral songs for a memorial slideshow, in-person funeral, or virtual funeral service can help people feel love and celebration.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- Uplifting Funeral Songs to Remember Dad or Grandpa
- Uplifting Funeral Songs to Remember Mom or Grandma
- Uplifting Funeral Songs to Remember a Sibling
- Uplifting Gospel Funeral Songs
Here we’ve compiled a list of some of the most uplifting songs. There is something for everybody on this list of music. Some songs will help people mourn, while others will lift their spirits. All of them will help as they grieve the passing of someone who mattered to them.
COVID-19 tip: If you're hosting a Zoom funeralusing a service likeGatheringUs, test your audio before the service to ensure online guests can hear the music. If the music doesn't sound great, make a digital playlist and send it to your guests before the funeral.
Uplifting Funeral Songs to Remember Dad or Grandpa
There’s no doubt that dads and grandpas leave a lasting impression. Here are a few songs that may be perfect for their service. If you need more songs, check out our list of the best funeral songs for dad.
Tip: Picking the music for the funeral might be just one small part of your post-death tasks and challenges. You can prioritize and work through those challenges with the help of our post-loss checklist.
1. “All Must Be Well” by Matthew Smith
This old hymn set to modern music is the perfect combination of classic and contemporary. It encourages us to hope for a better future.
2. “Hero” by Mariah Carey
“Hero” pays tribute to the strength and determination of the deceased.
3. “Smile” by Nat King Cole
Nat King Cole’s hit is simple in its message. Remember to smile even when your heart is breaking.
4. “Always Look on the Bright Side of Life” by Monty Python
This song’s message will likely remind the bereaved of their loved one. Its message is something many people have heard from their dad or grandpa.
5. “Bring me Sunshine” by Morecambe and Wise
This upbeat song reminds mourners of the joy that the deceased brought to all in their life.
6. “My Way” by Frank Sinatra
Did the patriarch of your life live on his terms? Then this may be the perfect song to play at his funeral.
7. “What a Wonderful World” by Louise Armstrong
An uplifting reminder that life is beautiful. Play it to celebrate the life of the deceased.
8. “Live Forever” by Oasis
The ones we love will always live on through our memories.
9. “I’m Gonna Live Until I Die” by Frank Sinatra
This is the perfect song to play for someone who lived life on their own terms.
10. “Three Little Birds” by Bob Marley
If your dad ever told you not to worry, then this song will resonate with you.
» MORE: Need help with funeral costs? Create a free online memorial to gather donations from loved ones.
Uplifting Funeral Songs to Remember Mom or Grandma
Mothers and grandmothers can be the heartbeat of the family. During the funeral, use music to pay tribute to them. It can help everyone grieve the loss of a precious woman. For our full list of songs for mom, read our list of the best funeral tracks to remember mom.
11. “Happy Days are Here Again” by Ben Selvin and the Crooners
Add a little joy to the funeral procession. Playing this uplifting song. It is full of happiness and hope.
12. “We’ll Meet Again” by Vera Lynn
If you want an uplifting song that has an emotional touch, Vera Lynn’s song is a great choice.
13. “The Best” by Tina Turner
Many of us feel like our mom or grandmother is the best person we know. This song makes a perfect tribute.
14. “Amazing Grace” by Jennifer Hudson
Every rendition of Amazing Grace is uplifting. But there is something powerful about this version by Jennifer Hudson.
15. “The Show Must Go On” by Queen
This song may not immediately seem like a funeral song. It certainly lends itself to the idea that even when someone passes away, life must go on.
16. “I Will Always Love You” by Whitney Houston
Encourage mourners to remember that the love they feel for a person will never disappear.
17. “Over the Rainbow” by Judy Garland
This is one of the most played songs for a funeral. It perfectly depicts the joyful place that our loved ones go when they pass on.
18. “Wind Beneath My Wings” by Bette Midler
For many of us, the special women in our life give us hope and strength. This Bette Midler song is a wonderful tribute.
19. “Don’t Worry. Be Happy.” by Bobby McFerrin
As the song title suggests, this tune is about finding a sliver of joy even when life gets hard.
20. “You are the Sunshine of My Life” by Stevie Wonder
Sweet, sincere, and uplifting. This beautiful song is a terrific way to remember the special woman in your life.
Tip: Be sure to add each of the songs to a digital playlist and share the link with the funeral director. We recommend getting a premium streaming service so you can skip the ads, likeSpotify Premium.
Uplifting Funeral Songs to Remember a Sibling
The bond between siblings is forever. Remember your brother or sister with one of these lovely songs.
21. “I Will Remember You” by Sarah McLachlan
While this song is emotional, it is also uplifting. Even though someone is gone, their presence will be remembered forever.
22. “In My Life” by The Beatles
In many ways, this song is about reflection. Play it and share your favorite memories of the departed.
23. “For a Dancer” by Jackson Browne
This poetic melody is a perfect tribute to the loss of someone. It would be even more suitable if your sibling was a dancer.
24. “You Were Loved” by Whitney Houston
A simple and uplifting message that is perfect for a funeral.
25. “Across the Great Divide” by Kate Wolfe
This warm and uplifting song can remind us that our loved one is somewhere better.
26. “Time of My Life” by Jennifer Warnes and Bill Medley
Some of the best memories probably include your siblings. This song is a great reminder of those times.
27. “You Can Close Your Eyes” by James Taylor
A song that is beautiful and uplifting. It’s a memorable way to pay tribute to someone who has been a significant part of your life.
28. “Follow the Sun” by Xavier Rudd
This song isn’t about dying, but more about how a person lived.
29. “Everywhere” by Michelle Branch
This song is spiritual and uplifting in every sense. It reminds us that we are never truly alone.
30. “Spirit in the Sky” by Norman Greenbaum
If you want everyone to feel a little more at peace, then this song is an excellent choice.
» MORE: Our story doesn't end at the grave. Honor your loved one with a free online memorial.
Uplifting Songs to Remember a Friend
Friendship is a special bond between two people. Songs such as these can help mourners celebrate the life and friendship of a very special person.
31. “Dropkick Me Jesus” by Bobby Bare
This song has a more humorous flair to it. It may be ideal for a celebration of someone’s life, rather than a funeral.
32. “Goodbye My Friend” by Linda Ronstadt
When you need a simple way to say goodbye. This uplifting song is a great choice.
33. “I'll Remember” by Madonna
A wonderful tribute to a friend. Reminisce over memories while it plays.
34. “Shine Down” by The Riley School of Dance
A song that is a frequent choice for mourners grieving the loss of a friend.
35. “Wish You Were Here” by Pink Floyd
When a friend passes, this sentiment is often felt.
36. “Stand By Me” by Ben E. King
This classic song about friendship makes saying goodbye just a little easier.
37. “Perfect Day” by Lou Reed
Time well spent is a wonderful thing to hold onto. Especially as you grieve the loss of a friend.
38. “You Are Not Alone” by Michael Jackson
The death of a loved one may feel very isolating. But this song reminds you you aren’t alone.
39. “I’ll Sleep When I’m Dead” by Bon Jovi
If your friend had a sense of humor, then this may be a great song to add to the collection.
Tip: Have you thought about how you're going to memorialize your friend? Consider some of the best ways to remember someone, including turning a loved one's ashes into diamondsor creating a custom urn.
Uplifting Gospel Funeral Songs
If you are planning a faith-based funeral consider adding some gospel songs. Gospel moves and inspires people. Here are a few of the most uplifting songs that keep faith as the centerpiece of the message. Check out our picks for the best gospel funeral songs for more.
40. “All We Ask” by Donnie McClurkin
A beautifully written song that uplifts and inspires all who hear it.
41. “God is Here” by Karen Clark Sheard
Simple and eloquent--this song is sure to help people as they grieve.
42. “I’ll See You Again” by Richard Smallwood
Sometimes, all we need is a reminder that we’ll see our loved one again someday.
43. “Jesus Promised Me a Home Over There” by Jennifer Hudson
A reminder that the deceased have a home with God.
44. “Yes God is Real” by Bishop G.E. Patterson
Faith is often what helps people get through the grieving process. This song is a reminder to hold on to your faith even during difficult times.
45. “Sweet Chariot” by Eric Clapton
This classic gospel song is a lovely way to add peace to a funeral.
46. “Make Me a Channel of Your Peace” by Susan Boyle
Susan Boyle’s voice alone is sure to stir an uplifting feeling. But the addition of the melody and lyrics makes this song even more moving.
47. “Beautiful Savior” by Live Church Worship
Sometimes, a reminder of God’s guidance is what mourners need to hear during a funeral.
48. “Here I am Lord” by Dan Schute
This beautiful song is sure to comfort people. And it can help people focus on their faith during the passing of a loved one.
49. “Marvelous” by Walter Hawkins
Mourners will be nothing short of moved after listening to this uplifting song.
50. “I Shall Wear a Crown” by Richard Smallwood
For people of faith, the reminder of what is to come after death can help them with their grief.
» MORE: Create a free online memorial. Honor your loved one, share funeral details, and collect memories and tributes.
Uplifting Funeral Songs Bring Peace
Song choice can transform the atmosphere of a funeral. The songs listed here can bring peace, comfort, and maybe even joy to a difficult time.
What is the number one requested funeral song? ›
“Unforgettable” by Nat King Cole. “You Raise Me Up” by Westlife. “We'll Meet Again” by Vera Lynn. “Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life” by Eric Idle from “Monty Python's Life of Brian”What is the most uplifting song you know? ›
- Katrina and the Waves - 'Walking on Sunshine' ...
- Bob Marley - 'Three Little Birds' ...
- Elbow - 'One Day Like This' ...
- ABBA - 'Dancing Queen' ...
- The Beatles - 'Here Comes the Sun' ...
- Queen - 'Don't Stop Me Now'
The music will set the mood of the funeral – happy, sad, uplifting – and can reflect the personality of your loved one. Additionally, some people choose to feature live music during the funeral service, such as singers, soloists or groups. This could be a friend, family member, or professional funeral musicians.What are some songs with a positive message? ›
- 'Ain't No Mountain High Enough' by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell. ...
- 'I Will Survive' by Gloria Gaynor. ...
- 'Lose Yourself' by Eminem. ...
- 'I'm Still Standing' by Elton John. ...
- 'Survivor' by Destiny's Child. ...
- 'Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger' by Daft Punk. ...
- '(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher' by Jackie Wilson.
- 'Let's Go Crazy' by Prince. ...
- 'I Got You (I Feel Good)' by James Brown & The Famous Flames. ...
- 'Don't Stop Me Now' by Queen. ...
- 'Good as Hell' by Lizzo. ...
- 'Walking on Sunshine' by Katrina & The Waves. ...
- 'Lovely Day' by Bill Withers. ...
- 'Tightrope' by Janelle Monáe. ...
- 'Three Little Birds' by Bob Marley & The Wailers.
- “Beautiful” by Christina Aguilera.
- “Man in the Mirror” by Michael Jackson.
- “The Gambler” by Kenny Rogers.
- “Born This Way” by Lady Gaga.
- “Hey Jude” by The Beatles, Another Song With Meaning.
- “Firework” by Katy Perry.
- “Let It Be” by The Beatles.
- Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah.
- All Things Bright and Beautiful.
- Great Is Thy Faithfulness.
- Lord of all hopefulness.
- Going Home.
- Be Not Afraid.
- I Am The Bread of Life.
Times have now changed. We now have the choice to play pretty much any song, so the options are completely up to you and how best to celebrate the person's life. Choosing music for a funeral helps create a personalised service that pays tribute to a loved one.What is the most beautiful hymn? ›
- Abide With Me.
- Alas, And Did My Savior Bleed.
- All Creatures Of Our God And King.
- All Glory, Laud And Honor.
- Amazing Grace.
- America, The Beautiful.
- And Can It Be That I Should Gain.
- At Calvary.
Which song is used to mourn the death of loved ones? ›
1. “Tears In Heaven” by Eric Clapton. A reminder that it's okay to cry and grieve the loss of a loved one.What is the number one covered song? ›
Undoubtedly the most covered song in history, “Yesterday” has racked up approximately 2,200 variations since it was released in 1966.What is a positive song to start the day? ›
Imagine Dragons – “On Top of the World” Israel “IZ” Kamakawiwo'ole – “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” & “What a Wonderful World” medly. Bob Marley – “Don't Worry, Be Happy” Taylor Swift – “Shake it Off”What is a good song for a memorial video? ›
- 'My Way' by Frank Sinatra.
- 'Wind Beneath My Wings' by Bette Midler.
- 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow' by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole.
- 'Ave Maria' by Franz Schubert.
- 'Time to Say Goodbye' by Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman.
- Jerusalem. And did those feet in ancient time. ...
- The Lord's My Shepherd (Psalm 23) The Lord's my Shepherd, I'll not want; ...
- Abide With Me. Abide with me; fast falls the eventide; ...
- Amazing Grace. Amazing grace! ...
- How Great Thou Art. ...
- The Old Rugged Cross. ...
- Lord of All Hopefulness.
- Choose songs that hold a special meaning for your family. ...
- Ask your funeral director for song suggestions. ...
- Step back in time. ...
- Try something traditional. ...
- Create a funeral playlist on Spotify.
- “House of Fun” by Madness.
- “Get the Party Started” by P! nk.
- “Uptown Girl” by Billy Joel.
- “Sun Is Shining” by Bob Marley.
- “I Get Around” by The Beach Boys.
- “YMCA” by Village People.
- “Waterloo” by ABBA.
- “September” by Earth, Wind & Fire.
Today's post is on inspirational songs: songs that motivate us into action, that remind us about the beauty of life, that remind us of our true worth and potential, and that lift us up when we're down.What is a good song to cheer someone up? ›
- "Imagine" - John Lennon. ...
- "The Middle" - Jimmy Eat World. ...
- "All You Need Is Love" - The Beatles. ...
- "Walking On Sunshine" - Katrina and The Waves. ...
- "Ain't No Mountain High" - Marvin Gaye, Tammi Terrell. ...
- "Firework" - Katy Perry. ...
- "Famous Last Words" - My Chemical Romance.
- "Good Vibrations" by the Beach Boys.
- "I Got You (I Feel Good)" by James Brown.
- "House of Fun" by Madness.
- "Get the Party Started" by Pink.
- "Uptown Girl" by Billy Joel.
- "Sun Is Shining" by Bob Marley.
- "I Get Around" by the Beach Boys.
- "YMCA" by Village People.
What's a good song to represent family? ›
- Avicii, “The Nights” ...
- Sister Sledge, “We Are Family” ...
- John Mayer, “Daughters” ...
- Drake, “Keep the Family Close” ...
- Lukas Graham, “7 Years” ...
- Christina Aguilera, “Oh Mother” ...
- JP Cooper feat. ...
- Kenny Chesney, “Don't Blink”
- Stronger – Kelly Clarkson. ...
- Don't Stop Believing – Journey. ...
- Ain't No Mountain High Enough – Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell. ...
- Save the World – Swedish House Mafia. ...
- Skyscraper – Demi Lovato. ...
- Get up Stand up – Bob Marley. ...
- You're Beautiful – James Blunt. ...
- It's My Life – Bon Jovi.
- Watermelon Sugar by Harry Styles - 2019. ...
- Chandelier by Sia - 2014. ...
- 1985 by Bowling For Soup - 2004. ...
- The Way by Fastball - 1998. ...
- Slide by The Goo Goo Dolls - 1998. ...
- Semi-Charmed Life by Third Eye Blind - 1997. ...
- Waterfalls by TLC - 1994. ...
- No Rain by Blind Melon - 1992.
I'm sorry for your loss. “ “Please accept my deepest condolences for your loss.” “(The deceased) was a great person, and I'll miss them very much.”What is the most emotional part of a funeral? ›
Sadness. This is perhaps the most common and universal emotion to experience at a funeral. The experience of loss naturally results in sadness, and the more you loved and cherished the one you lost, the more sadness you'll probably feel.What is the saddest song to play at a funeral? ›
Top 21 Sad Funeral Songs
Candle In the Wind by Elton John. If You're Reading This by Tim McGraw. I'll Be Missing You by Puff Daddy. In the Arms of an Angel by Sarah McLachlan.
- 1- “My Heart Will Go On” by Celine Dion.
- 2- “I'll Always Love My Mama” by The Intruders.
- 3- “Because You Loved Me” by Celine Dion.
- 4- “The Best Day” by Taylor Swift.
- 5- “Mama's Song” by Carrie Underwood.
- 6- “A Song for Mama” by Boyz II Men.
- "Another One Bites the Dust" by Queen. ...
- "Highway to Hell" by AC/DC. ...
- "Celebration" by Kool and the Gang. ...
- "Stayin' Alive" by The Bee Gees. ...
- "Happy" by Pharrell Williams. ...
- "Problem" by Ariana Grande. ...
- "Ding Dong the Witch Is Dead” by Glinda and the Munchkins. ...
- "I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor.
- Have I Ever BeenJasmine Jethwa.
- PetalsGary O'Neill.
- Talking With Your GhostCharlie Oriain.
- Just Tell People How You FeelPretty Preachers Club.
- Please Don't BeHazlett.
- all in good Time,Torri Weidinger.
- 1 There's Never a Forever Thing - A-Ha. ...
- 2 November Rain - Guns N Roses. ...
- 3 Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley. ...
- 4 Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin. ...
- 5 Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen. ...
- 6 Nella Fantasia - Jackie Evancho. ...
- 7 Imagine - John Lennon. ...
- 8 Art of Life - X Japan.
What is the most beautiful melody of all time? ›
- Adagio in G Minor.
- Air (Air On The G String)
- Andante Cantabile.
- Ase's Death.
- Ave Maria.
- Ave Maria, Op. 52, No. ...
- Ave Verum (Jesu, Word Of God Incarnate)
|1||Los Del Rio||Macarena [Bayside Boys Mix]|
|2||Soft Cell||Tainted Love|
|3||Dexy's Midnight Runners||Come on Eileen|
|4||Right Said Fred||I'm Too Sexy|
Adele, “Easy on Me”What songs remind your family of certain memories? ›
- "We are Family" by Sister Sledge. ...
- "Ode to My Family" by The Cranberries. ...
- "These are My People" by Rodney Atkins. ...
- "Celebration" by Kool and the Gang. ...
- "Family Reunion" by Jill Scott. ...
- "Family Affair" by Sly and the Family Stone. ...
- "Home Sweet Home" by Mötley Cruë.
- Beyoncé, "I Miss You" ...
- Drake, "Marvins Room" ...
- The Rolling Stones, "Miss You" ...
- Robyn, "Missing U" ...
- The Beatles, "For No One" ...
- Cynthia Erivo, "Fly Before You Fall" ...
- Incubus, "I Miss You" ...
- Bill Withers, "Ain't No Sunshine"
- REM – Everybody Hurts.
- Sinead O'Connor – Nothing Compares 2 U.
- Eric Clapton – Tears in Heaven.
- Whitney Houston – I Will Always Love You.
- The Beatles – Yesterday.
- Adele – Someone Like You.
- Celine Dion – My Heart Will Go On.
- Roy Orbison – Crying.
According to Guinness World Records, “Yesterday” has the most cover versions of any song ever written. The song remains popular today with more than 1,600 recorded cover versions. Broadcast Music Incorporated (BMI) asserts that it was performed over seven million times in the 20th century alone.What was the first song to hit number 1? ›
The first number-one song of the Billboard Hot 100 was "Poor Little Fool" by Ricky Nelson, on August 4, 1958.What was the first number one song? ›
Al Martino – Here In My Heart (1952) – was also the first ever Number 1 single!How many songs should be sung at a funeral? ›
How many songs will be played? Ideally, three to four songs should be played at a service. A more somber selection usually commences the service. A song that helps tell the story of a loved one's life is generally played after the eulogy and possibly after a reading.
What is the hymn for remembering? ›
The hymn 'O God our Help in Ages Past' is a favourite for remembrance ceremonies and is always sung at the annual Remembrance Sunday service at the Cenotaph in London. Written in 1708 by Isaac Watts, it was inspired by Psalm 90 and has a strong message of promise and hope.What is the saddest funeral song? ›
- "Tears in Heaven" by Eric Clapton. ...
- "Right Here Waiting for You" by Richard Marx. ...
- "We'll Meet Again" by Vera Lynn. ...
- "Pie Jesu" by Celtic Woman. ...
- "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd. ...
- "How Do I Live?" by LeAnn Rimes. ...
- "Unchained Melody" by Righteous Brothers. ...
- "Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston.
- “We are so sorry for your loss.”
- “I'm going to miss her, too.”
- “I hope you feel surrounded by much love.”
- “Sharing in your sadness as you remember Juan.”
- “Sharing in your sadness as you remember Dan.”
- “Sending healing prayers and comforting hugs. ...
- “With deepest sympathy as you remember Robert.”
- Give Yourself Time to Practice.
- Find a Supportive Person Ahead.
- Eat Before Giving the Speech.
- Remember to Take Deep Breaths.
- Keep Your Eyes on the Prize.
When You Don't Know What to Say at a Visitation
- My condolences.
- I'm really sorry you're going through this.
- Your mom was a wonderful woman.
- You loved him/her well.
- I'm thinking of your family during this difficult time.